|Welcome! The trophy wiki is still in early beta, and to encourage contributions we are offering a $10 PSN gift card every single week for the wiki's top editor. Details here.|
- This article about platinum trophies in general. There are also lists of trophies named "Platinum" and "Platinum Trophy".
Platinum trophies are the least common, and most valuable, trophies that are awarded by PlayStation games. They are worth 180 trophy points (the equivalent of 2 gold trophies, 6 silver trophies, or 12 bronze trophies). With very few exceptions, platinum trophies are awarded for earning all of the game's other non-DLC trophies.
Not all games have a platinum
While "large" retail games almost always have a platinum trophy, whether or not smaller independent games have a platinum trophy is very inconsistent. Games are almost always placed into one of two categories:
- Full-sized trophy list: A trophy list worth approximately 1230 trophy points (equivalent to 70 bronze trophies plus a platinum), with a platinum.
- Smaller PSN-sized trophy list: A trophy list worth approximately 300 trophy points (equivalent to 20 bronze trophies), with no platinum.
While the general rule of thumb is that games will get a full-sized trophy list if they are are "big" or "hard" enough, there do not seem to be any hard-and-fast rules in place. For example My Name is Mayo received a full-sized trophy list despite only requiring 30 minutes to platinum (and no skill beyond the ability to press the button), while Cloudberry Kingdom is one of the hardest games on any Sony console, and it just has a smaller trophy list with no platinum.
- When trophies were first introduced in July 2008, the platinum trophy icon was actually a purple crown (). This was changed to the current icon one week later, as part of PS3 system software 2.41 update.
- Prior to the system software 3.00 update for the Playstation 3 on September 1, 2009, the platinum trophy contributed to a game's completion percentage that appeared on the PS3 console. It has not contributed to that percentage ever since (it does, however, still provide 180 trophy points).
- List of platinum trophies
- Bronze trophy
- Silver trophy
- Gold trophy
- List of trophies named "Platinum"
- List of trophies named "Platinum Trophy"
- 2.41 Firmware Brings New PS3 Platinum Trophy, Kotaku (July 8, 2008). Retrieved September 7, 2017.